Athene Donates Over $250,000 to Local Bermuda Charities
February 7, 2022
Athene Life Re Ltd.(ALRe), the reinsurance subsidiary of Athene Holding Ltd., announced it donated $252,702 to Bermuda charities in 2021 as part of the company’s ongoing commitment to giving back to the community where employees live and work.
“Athene is honored to be able to support so many incredible organizations that make a positive difference in the Bermuda community,” said Natasha Scotland Courcy, SVP General Counsel and Chief Operating Officer of Athene Life Re. “We look forward to continuing to make an impact through philanthropic giving, volunteer service, and community outreach in the years ahead.”
The donations reached 17 local charities and organizations that align with Athene’s championed causes: education, human services, health and well-being and environmental sustainability.
Donations ranged in size from $2,000 to more than $30,000. Some of the donations included:
- Scholarships and Bermuda College Work Study Program: donation funded two Athene BFIS scholarships and seven Athene Bermuda College scholarship recipients including the costs of associate degree programs and books.
- The Coalition for the Protection of Children: for their general fund and new Teen Space.
- Bermuda Red Cross: donation to the general operating fund which provides relief and support to those in crisis.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters: employees donated over 19,000 essential items plus an additional cash donation to support the organizations various initiatives.
- Mirrors Alumni and Friends Association: to support their student art and digital competition.
- WindReach: donation to the general operating funding to support the Educational & Therapeutic programs for individuals with special needs.
- PALS: toward their general operating fund.
- Family Centre: toward critical programs and services for vulnerable children and families in Bermuda.
- Bermuda Sloop Foundation: toward public school student sailing program.
- Community events: toward sponsorship of Bermuda End-to-End and Rotary Clubs of Bermuda golf tournament.
- Vision Bermuda: toward the Critical Needs Program, which provides for essential and critical services related to vision for those with vision impairments.
- Women's Resource Centre: donation directed toward the Community Education, Awareness, and Life Skills Training Program.
- Heron Bay Primary School PTA: donated 22 tablets and 30 headsets to help bridge the education and technology gap.
In addition, Athene and several Bermuda based (re)insurers led a two-year initiative to fund the development of a state-of-the-art Career Development Centre at Bermuda College. Construction of the Career Development Center began in spring of 2021.
The Bermuda Charity Committee helps support these employee-driven efforts. More on Athene’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) efforts can be found at https://www.athene.com/corporate-social-responsibility.
Athene, a subsidiary of Apollo, is a leading retirement services company with total assets of $224.4 billion as of September 30, 2021 and operations in the United States, Bermuda, and Canada. Athene specializes in helping its customers achieve financial security and is a solutions provider to institutions. Founded in 2009, Athene is Driven to Do More for our policyholders, business partners, and the communities in which we work and live. For more information, please visit www.athene.com.