Athene issues, reinsures and acquires retirement savings products. Athene has developed dedicated distribution channels — retail, flow reinsurance, funding agreements and pension group annuities, and acquisitions and block reinsurance — which support origination across differing market environments, and which enable Athene to achieve stable asset growth while maintaining attractive returns.
Athene, through its operating subsidiaries, serves customers in all 50 states, providing products in the retirement savings market, including fixed indexed annuity (FIA) and registered indexed linked annuity (RILA) products.
- Athene is the #1 carrier in fixed indexed annuity sales1 in 2022, 2021 and 2020
- We write capital-efficient FIAs, RILAs and Multi-Year Guaranteed Annuities
- We are highly-rated — S&P: A+, Fitch: A+, A.M. Best: A, and Moody's: A12 — and our U.S. operating subsidiaries are licensed to distribute products in all 50 states
- Our products are sold through independent marketing organizations and financial institutions
- Established the Japan Representative Office in 2022
Athene Life Re Ltd. a subsidiary of Athene Holding Ltd., is one of Bermuda’s largest annuity reinsurance companies, as measured by capital. Athene Life Re’s core business is fixed annuity reinsurance, partnering with primary life and annuity insurance companies to find solutions to their corporate needs.
- Reinsures fixed indexed annuities, multi-year guaranteed annuities, payout annuities and funding agreements
- Ability to structure reinsurance agreements with U.S.-based life insurance companies
- Entered the Japanese market in 2020 and established the Japan Representative Office in 2022
- Athene opportunistically issues funding agreements to institutional investors
- We generated $10.1 billion in new funding agreement3 inflows during 2022
Pension Risk Transfer (PRT)
- Athene expanded into the pension risk transfer market in 2017
- Athene has been a leader in PRT volumes for the last 5 years4.
- Athene had a record year for PRT activity in 2021 generating $13.8 billion in inflows across nine transactions
Acquisitions & Block Reinsurance
- Athene has proven transaction expertise; a significant portion of our growth has come from acquisitions of and block reinsurance transactions with other insurance companies
- Our financial strength, capital position and ability to structure innovative solutions for the insurance industry has made us one of the go-to partners in the industry
- Our management team’s long-standing industry experience and relationships provide a competitive sourcing advantage
- Athene has a proven record of working constructively to gain transaction approval
- We are able to underwrite meaningful operational synergies
- Since our inception, we have completed numerous block reinsurance transactions and several acquisitions of well-established companies in the annuity business (see table below)
- Athene acts as a capital solution provider to the industry
- Our strategic capital vehicle, Athene Co-Invest Reinsurance Affiliate provides on-demand, third-party equity capital enabling us to execute across our business channels to support organic and inorganic growth
- Through our efficient corporate structure and operations, we believe we have a built a cost-effective platform to support our growth opportunities
- We remain well-positioned for continued profitable growth
|Liberty Life Insurance Company (LLIC)
|Investors Insurance Company
|Presidential Life Insurance Company
|Lincoln Financial Group
|Jackson National Life Insurance Company